How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX and my nephew is 2 yrs old boy name Chase and has been constipated all day so about 2-3 hrs ago we used pedialax suppository and he still has no bowel movement. He did have a change of milk in the pass 2-3 days with a different brand. What should I do? Should I be worried or give him some more time so he can have bowel movement?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing yo us. I appreciate suggest your concern. Change in brand of milk could also lead to constipation. Constitution is related to diet. Relax,give him some time. I suggest you to give him: Lukewarm water with honey. Also in routine give him balanced diet rich in fibre like fruits/green leafy vegetables/cereals/pulses. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can help you further. Wishing your nephew good health. God bless...

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 2 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt response doctor Bhagat. How long do you think it'll take until he will have bowel movement? How long specifically before I should start getting concerned or need to bring him to his pediatrician? Please advise. Thank you. And sorry I forgot to ask why the "pedialax" suppository label says that there might indicate serious symptoms if no bowel movement occurs within 1 hour of suppository of the pedialax? I think that is what scared us the most. Please advise. Thank you Dr. Bhagat.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Relax,there is nothing to worry. Pedialax is glycerin suppository and is safe to use. Do not worry about time ,he will pass stools Hope this helps. Take care.

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your response Dr. Bhagat. My nephew is crying every so often (probably every 20 min or so) probably due to discomfort in his stomach. He also points to his rectal area too. Is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX thanks again. Yes these are side effects of suppository. I really understand your concern. But relax,he will be fine soon. Take care.

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 16 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Bhagat for all your help.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: thanks for chosing health care magic. Detailed Answer: You are always welcome. Wishing you and your family good health. Happy New year. God bless...

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 4 minutes later
Thank you & Happy New Year and wishing you all the best Dr. Bhagat.

Brief Answer: thanks . Detailed Answer: In future in case you have any query we at health care magic will be glad to help. Take care.

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 10 hours later
Hi Dr. Bhagat, Should I stop giving my nephew milk altogether until he has a bowel movement? Or can I still give him milk, the original brand that he's okay with? Please advise. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: you can give. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks again for your follow up. You can give milk but decrease quantity. Give plenty of fluids. Has he passed stools? Let me know if you have any further query. Take care..

No bowel movement yet, i was wondering if we should use any other laxative such as enema?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes you may need. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX In case he has discomfort and is irritable then I suggest giving laxative like lactulose .

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 3 minutes later
Is that a liquid or medication over the counter? Is there is a specific brand you recommend?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Lactulose ia liquid preparation available in most countries over the counter. It can be given with any luquid. Start with 5ml once a day and dose can be increased according to symptoms.

Do i still need to buy the enema? Or just use only the lactulose? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Use only lactulose. Also I suggest you to give sitz bath to your nephew that is make him sit in tub of lukewarm water for 10 to 15 minutes. Hope this helps.

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 1 hour later
I tried going to a pharmacy to get lactulose but they said i need a prescription for it. I did buy some pedia drops for discomfort for stomach. Before i can give him any though he finally had pass stool! His stool was rock solid. Thank you for your help doctor, you kept me at ease in the past 48 hrs. Happy new year!

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: happy new year. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Hapy to hear that chase has passed stools. But now be careful about his diet. Give fluids and fibre rich diet as I mentioned. Take care..

Follow-up: How to cultivate healthy bowel habits in children? 2 hours later
Thank you, will do.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Take care..