How to control snoring?

How to control snoring...
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query.

They are so many causes of snoring among them obesity, nasal obstruction or any infection, neoplastic or polyp in the pharynx are common. It is necessary to identify if the patient has any such associated causes.

There are so many ways to control snoring. It includes

a) Life style changes like weight reduction, exercise, quit smoking, avoid alcohol and sleeping pills, established regular sleep pattern, etc.
b) Bedtime remedies such as Clear nasal passages, Keep bedroom air moist, Elevating your head four inches may ease breathing and encourage your tongue and jaw to move forward, Avoid caffeine and heavy meals, Sleep on your side, etc.
c) Throat exercise - regular 30 minutes exercise can strengthen muscles in the upper respiratory tract and thereby reduce snoring.
d) Medical managements - If all above methods doesn’t work then we advise medical methods.
They are Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), Dental appliances, oral devices, and lower jaw-positioners
e) Surgical managements - Traditional surgery such as Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP), Thermal Ablation Palatoplasty (TAP), tonsillectomy, and adenoidectomy increase the size of your airway by surgically removing tissues.
f) Newer technique - Laser assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP) and somnoplasty remove parts of the soft palate to reduce snoring using lasers or radiofrequency signals.

Please consult an ENT surgeon for further opinion about the proper management of your case.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and please rate the answer and write a review for me.

Wish you a speedy recovery

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly