How to confirm diverticulitis?

General Surgeon
I was told I have sigmoid diverticulitis, but no evidence of diverticulitis. what does that mean?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Diverticles are kind o pouches in the intestinal wall. In most cases are caused by chronic constipation. When a peace of stool stuck in such pouch, an inflammation appears. Such inflammation is very XXXXXXX as can lead to intestine perforation. Diverticulitis can be suspected in case of lower left abdominal pain. But to confirm diverticles colonoscopy is necessary. So if you didnt have colonoscopy done, diverticles can not be confirmed. If you have diverticles inflammation (diverticulitis) colonoscopy can be done 3 weeks after inflammation healing. Otherwise, there is a risk of perforation during colonoscopy. In conclusion, if you have lower left abdominal pain, you should be prescribed with antibiotics (Ciprofloxacine and Metronidazole for example). You should also start soft diet with increased fiber rich products to avoid constipation. If the inflammation will be gone, 3 weeks after you should have colonoscopy to confirm or rule out diverticles. In case of second diverticulitis, surgical removal of sigmoid colon should be considered. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: How to confirm diverticulitis? 2 days later
So if I had a c scan and that is where they confirm that I had sigmoid diverticuliis.but no evidence of diverticulitis. I have to have colonoscopy to be completely confirm? What does sigmoid mean? I hardly am constipated, but do often have diarrhea. My problem is that left side of my stomach does hurt and don't know if it's fibroids or the 3.4 cm in my right ovarian cysts or my 3.5cm on my left side of my kidney/uterus. I guess there is just so many factors In the colonoscopy do they remove it on that same day? What do you have to do the day before a colonoscopy? is it painful?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Diverticula is a kind of pouches in the intestine wall. Diverticulitis is an inflammation of this pouches. According to CT result you have pouches without inflammation. This is a fact. But you need colonoscopy to verify it. During colonoscopy it is impossible to remove diverticula. To do that, a part of large intestine needs to be removed (classic surgery is necessary). Sigmoid is a part of large intestine (sigmoid colon). Left side pain can be caused by this divericulum. Even if in the CT there is no evidence of inflammation. To get prepared to colonoscopy, a day before you need to clean your intestines. Special agent is prescribed by a doctor. It does not hurt but you need to pass loose stools frequently. Hope this will help. Regards.