How severe can jaundice get in a baby due to blood type incompatibility?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi Doctor, My baby was born on 11.12.2013 at 7:30 am. My wifes blood group is O Negative, My is B+ and my babys blood group is also B+. My wife was given Anti D Injection at 31 weeks of pregnancy and immediately after delivery. My babys billurubin level was normal at time of birth and also coombs test was done & it was also negative. My wifes coombs test was done several times at time of pregnancy, it was also negative. This is my first child. Now on 3rd day of her birth my doctor is saying that baby has become slightly yellow & there are chances that she may have jaundice for that she has started giving LIV 52 Syrup. I have read over internet that Jaundice can happen to newborn due to Blood type incompatability. I want to know to what extent severe it would be & what should be done now.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not worry just follow up it will not be severe Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. If coombs test is negative for both baby and mother it means that it is unlikely for high jaundice levels due to incompatiblity in your kid. All babies will have some physiological jaundice which starts after 2 days and settles in a few days. Probably your baby is having physiological jaundice. No treatment is required except frequent feeding and followup clinical examination every one or 2 days to assess jaundice level. Wishing your baby good health. Regards. Dr Arun
Follow-up: How severe can jaundice get in a baby due to blood type incompatibility? 9 days later
Hello doctor, My baby is 12 days old. My wife has given her birth by c section. She is not able to give her breastfeeding. So which milk should be given lactogen, cow milk or maul Tazaa. Also I want to know is it advisable to give her milk through feeder.
Answered by Dr. Arun 11 hours later
Brief Answer: lactogen should be safe Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Mothers after c section generally have low breast milk output to start with. But it will pick up soon as baby is allowed to suckle at the breast every 2 hours for atleast 15 minutes each time. Meanwhile you can give lactogen after breast feeding if baby is not satisfied fully with the feed. But keep minimum say 2 to 4 times a day . Always try breast feeding each and everytime before giving lactogen. Mother should drink plenty of liquids and milk. Wishing you great parenthood Dr Arun