How serious is BP reading of 168/85?

I have been on High blood pressure medicine for years. I just took my readings and they are 168/85. Should I be concerned? I am 64 years old and overweight.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, take more readings! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this long standing high blood pressure and the recent reading. I know you are very much aware if the fact that this is out of the set goals for hypertension management. You are for sure worried about this but i would advice that you should not get disturbed by this. A single blood pressure measurement cannot provide enough information for us to make a reasonable conclusion and suggest changes. I will suggest that you take the blood pressure over 3days at least 6times and provide me with the readings so that I can analyze the trend and provide a more rounded opinion and suggestion. If there is one single thing that can help you so much right now, it would be to drop your weight. Please, reduce the amount of calories you eat daily and exercise more often to help drop some extra pounds. I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information if need be and clarifications. Thanks for using our services. I look forward to hear from you in 72hours! Dr. Ditah, MD.