How risky are blood clots after arthroscopic surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a "fairly significant" meniscus tear. The orthopedic surgeon is scheduling surgery. My worries are as follows: I am 71 years old, in good health. However, I am at least 50 pounds overweight and I have large thighs and fat knees. I am very concerned about blood clots after arthroscopic surgery. I mentioned blood clot risks to him, and he said I would most likely be on an aspirin regimen and also there is the use of some sort of anti-embolism stockings that are used. I would rather deal with a bum knee than risk losing my life to a blood clot. This is very worrisome to me and I am not willing to just go along with surgery until I am relatively assured that it is safe for my particular circumstances -- age and overweight. I thank you for your input. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go for arthroscopic surgery Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Do not worry too much, there is less risk for blood clots after arthroscopic surgery than open surgery of the abdomen or pelvis, hip, or knee. Because it is a relatively minor surgery, many experts do not routinely use blood thinners to prevent leg clots after the procedure. I suggest you to go for arthroscopic surgery. You are not at too much risk. However aspirin regimen and anti-embolism stockings can be used to prevent any chance of blood clot. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care