How long will injection site of thorazine cause pain for child?

My 8 year old son was in the emergency room for agitation. He was given an injection of thorazine and two days later he is still reporting severe pain at the injection site. He was in severe pain when the shot was given and he has a high tolerance to pain. How long will this pain typically last and is it common to give this medication as a shot?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, it is typically given as a shot!(IM) Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this agitation your child had and the pain from this injection. This drug is typically given intramuscularly as a shot. Rarely is it administered directly into the veins. Just like with all injections, pain is a possible side effect. However, it should not persist for long. Long duration of pains after an injection may signal a more concerning complication like an abscess. Because severe pain is often associated with thiorazine injection, I will advice that you give him some pain medications like Ibuprofen/Tylenol. If this should not control the pains within 2days, I will advice that you go in for evaluation for a possible local complication like and abscess. Also, apply cold packs to help reduce the inflammation and pains. I hope you find this helpful. I wish him a speedy resolution of symptoms. Fee free to ask for clarifications or more information if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: How long will injection site of thorazine cause pain for child? 13 minutes later
Thanks so much for your response. Sincerely, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you, too! Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you so much for your kind words. I am truly humbled by this. I wish your son a speedy recovery. I wish you well, too. Dr. Ditah, MD.