How is weakness in abdomen treated ?

Question
Hello, I'm male 33, 330lbs 6ft 0in. About a year ago I started to feel like I might have a abdominal hernia above my navel. About a month ago I went to a specialist and he did all the tests except for a CT scan and a ultrasound, but his professional opinion was that he felt no hernia and his med student agreed. He said exercise and diet and come back in 3 months. I'm about 6 weeks away from going back and it feels like the abdominal muscles are very weak and I get sharp but not intense pains and a overall malaise feeling.Rest is not a option right now due to my job working in a grocery store moving heavy boxes. In your opinion, could it be anything else?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

It would be better if you could provide the following information. They can help me to comment on your query better.

1. Do you have any bulges on the abdomen?
2. Do the bulges come and go?
3. Apart from pain,do you have any other symptoms?
4. What kind of work do you do?
5. Did you have any abdominal surgeries in the past?
6. Does the pain move around?

Awaiting the reply.

Follow-up: How is weakness in abdomen treated ? 3 hours later
Not that I can see, I feel some stiffness right above the navel. And when I lay down, I feel a bump.
2. Do the bulges come and go?
No.
Mostly discomfort and that effects the front of the abdomen and my sides when I lay on them.
4. What kind of work do you do?
Department manager for a grocery store. I lift boxes that weigh between 25 to 55 lbs all the time.
No.
6. Does the pain move around?
Only around the navel area and the sides. I feels like the muscle is tight and won't relax.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later

Thanks for the details.

Well, if there is no visible bulge, then its not a hernia yet. You definitely have a causative factor of hernia if you are lifting heavy weights. That increases the intra abdominal wall pressure and is how hernias occur. But, there is also a underlying weakness of the muscles that aids in that.

Now, usually obesity is the cause behind that. Your symptoms could suggest the beginning of a hernia, maybe in the umbilical region. But the muscle wall hasn't totally been breached yet.
If you are over weight, now would be a good time to start abdominal crunches to strengthen the abdominal muscles.

Without examining you, I cannot of course, confirm or rule out hernia.
Another possibility is a subcutaneous swelling like a lipoma etc.
Again, examination is a key here. I suggest you get re examined as scheduled on your next doctor's visit to see if there is any change from the previous results. An ultrasound or Ct scan might be of help to confirm.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.