How is meprate used to induce pregnancy ?

Question
MY DOC HAS SAID THAT EGGS HAVE BEEN FORMED, AND IT IS MY 15TH DAY, SO SHE HAS SUGGESTED MEPRATE TO HELP GETTING ME PREGNANT, I HAD 1 ABORTION LAST YEAR AND SINCE THEN HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET PREGNANT. I HAVE READ THAT MEPRATE IS GENERALLY USED TO GET PERIODS BUT MY DOC HAS GIVEN ME THIS MEDICINE TO GET PREGNANT
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Hello
In cases of ovulation induction, the follicular size between 20-24mm is considered good enough to cause a successful ovulation. Usually inj. HCG is given at the follicular size of 18mm and the follicle ruptures after around 38 hours of injection when it reaches a size of 20-22mm.

In your case I presume there is a good size follicle already detected on ultrasound examination.Tablet Meprate is a synthetic progesterone preparation which is given in the second half of the cycle after the ovulation to prepare the uterine lining for proper implantation of the fertilized ovum. Progesterone is crucial for the development of a uterine lining that will support the early pregnancy.

Tablet Meprate is used for multiple problems and you cannot say that it has been prescribed to you without any indication.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Follow-up: How is meprate used to induce pregnancy ? 43 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX also wanted to know i am on levetiracetam(TORLEVA) at the moment does it have any effect on the child. As previously i was on Valprol and found out that Valprol can get some effect on the child but changed from last 8 months, but is TORLEVA safe enough.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Levetiracetam has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. There is no anti epileptic drug that can be considered absolutely safe for the fetus.

Animal studies have revealed evidence of increased incidences of minor fetal skeletal abnormalities, retarded offspring growth, embryofetal mortality, and offspring behavioral alterations on use of levetiracetam during pregnancy. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy.

Levetiracetam is only recommended for use during pregnancy when the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the fetus. Your treating physician is the best person to decide if it should be continued or not according to the severity of your illness.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.