How is liver cirrhosis treated ?

I am 57 years old and consumed 1-2 bottles of wine a day for the last 8 years.

3 months ago my wife and I were traveling out of the country and both got food poisoning. We have had all kinds of tests, she ended up with an ulcerated colon, and is receiving treatment, but the digestion problems still linger as do mine.

We have both had numerous tests including MRI and CAT scans.

My symptoms are high liver BR levels and jaundice (6.5 BR)

My MRI came back with enlarged spleen, normal gallbladder etc. (no mass detected in any organs, no enlarged liver)

We still both suffer from basically the same digestion discomfort after being home for 2 months. My doc thinks my problem is strictly alcohol (I Quite drinking completely as soon as we got sick in April), but my BR is still high, and we both have very low energy levels. We have started a major vitamin and diet regime, but the Dr seems to want to completely separate our illness even though we got sick the same day and haven’t yet recovered.

He (the specialist) says I may need a liver transplant because of my previous drinking problems…….something seems amiss with the diagnosis, as we still both go through periods of diarrhea and fever (about once every three or 4 weeks I get the shakes with fever) then it goes away. We were both on an 11 day cipro regime when we first got back from travel in May.

Would my previous level of drinking cause cirrhosis….did very little hard drinks.

Thanks for any opinion
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 21 hours later

Any alcohol intake of more than 20mg/day can cause liver disease.

As both of you developed similar symptoms while on a trip could indicate a common illness but your backgrounds are different.

Food poisoning symptoms do not last for more than a week and does not explain your elevated bilirubin or splenomegaly.

Recurrent fever and diarrhoea are also not the common manifectations of cirrhosis.

Chronic infective illnesses and any immune suppression have to be ruled out.

It is good that you have quit alcohol as it helps at any stage of alcohol induced liver injury.

In the absence of further investigatory reports (LFT, hemogram, stool examinations, HIV, HBSAg, anti HCV, CT report) and a good physical examination it is difficult to comment any further.

If you have done all these tests you can send it to WWW.WWWW.WW to Sub:ATTN Dr XXXXXXX k.s.

Hope i answered your query.I will be available for follow up.