How is insomnia treated ?

suffering from insomniac nights - Feels an imbalance while standing and sometimes while sitting. All blood check ups done with thyrocare were normal.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

Insomnia is commonly caused due to stress and anxiety. If the insomnia is long standing then medical treatment is needed.

You need to consult your physician to find out if you are having difficulty in falling asleep or there is early morning insomnia. After ruling out all the organic causes he can prescribe you a mild sedative with minimal day time sedation best suitable for you.

You can try these simple measures to help you fall asleep-
1.Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, breathing exercises.
2.Indulge yourself in mild exercise during the day.
3.Stick to a regular sleeping schedule.
4. Try hot foot bath before going to sleep.
5. Decrease intake of tea and coffee specially do not take caffeine after 4.00 PM
6.Try to go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time each morning. This includes weekends.
7. Block out surrounding environmental noise.
8.Avoid napping in the afternoon.

Feeling of imbalance while standing can be due to anemia, weakness or inner ear problem. You need an examination from an ENT specialist to find out the cause and proper treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: How is insomnia treated ? 18 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks for attending us..
My wife is already following all the 8 factors which you've mentioned. She is not anemic either . As suggested by you and one of her gynocologist it should be the inner ear problem. Yesterday she diagnosed my wife with 'Vertigo'. Also my wife had 160/90 B.P. She was prescribed with 'Vertin' and "Restyl(.5mg).
Couple of weeks back she was tested with B.P. 130/90 and hemoglobin 11.7.

Are we in the right track and can you pls suggest the DO's and DONT's for vertigo.
My wife is in teaching Profession and rides scooty to her school.. any comments relating this...
Thank You once again for your valuable replies.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

She is getting the correct treatment for vertigo. An inner ear problem is very likely. The second possibility is cervical spondylosis.

You must get her ear checked to see if there is any reversible cause such as wax, infection of ear or any other pathology.

If her symptoms still persist, you must get a CT/MRI scan of the brain to rule out lesions involving brain. Do consult your ENT doctor in this regards.

Usually, its takes 2 - 4 weeks for vertigo to subside on medications. So please be reassured.

The precautions she needs to follow are-
1. Avoid using a pillow while sleeping.
2. Do not drive till the symptoms subside. There are chances of falling down.
3. Take plenty of fluids orally.

Wishing your wife an early recovery.