How is hemangioma treated ?

ENT Specialist
My son is 2 1/2 years old, about a month ago he got a small, bright red bump on his cheek. I thought it would go away. He scratched it and it bled for a VERY long time. It's still there, bigger now (about the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil) and looks like it is filled with blood. What is this, and do I need to take him to the doctor?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query,

1. This seems to be a skin and soft tissue infection resulting from repeated scratching.

2. Since it has been a month now, you should have it seen by a skin specialist if possible. Sometimes, it may be an insect bite with a retained sting or rarely a foreign body reaction.

3. Meanwhile, clean the area daily with a soothing antiseptic such as Savlon, cover the area with an ointment containing a combination of an antibiotic, anti-fungal and steroid such as Betnovate GM.

4. All wounds itch while healing. Get over the counter anti allergic drops or syrup to reduce his discomfort.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: How is hemangioma treated ? 57 minutes later
He has actually only scratched it once, and it wasn't in an "It itches, so I need to scratch it" way. He was playing with a toy and it scraped against his face. I've looked at some pictures and other things online and I could send you a picture of it if you want, but I think it's a hemangioma. Also, he doesn't ever act like it's "itchy". It doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later

1. You may email the pictures to YYYY@YYYY with 'Attn: Dr. Sumit Bhatti' as the subject line.

2. A Hemangioma or a Hamartoma will be a pathological diagnosis. This will best be managed by a skin specialist. Certain hemangiomas require no treatment.

3. You seem to co-relate it with an injury, though it may be a coincidence.

Follow-up: How is hemangioma treated ? 1 hour later
I am sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been, his accidental scratching it off was secondary, the bump just appeared practically out of nowhere beforehand. Also, I will e-mail pictures, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for sending the pictures.

1. This looks like a hemangioma, a vascular malformation or a pyogenic granuloma. Though it is bright red and raised above the surface, there is almost no tissue reaction around it. All these are benign lesions.

2. You should see a skin specialist and pediatric surgeon immediately. They will be able to check the deeper extent, rate of growth and decide on the further course of treatment.

3. Treatment may involve observation, local steroids, interferon, laser or surgical excision. This lesion is so small and with no important structure nearby, a simple surgical or laser excision will combine total removal and biopsy.

4. Treatment at this stage will prevent difficulty in treatment and disfigurement if it increases over time.