How is corneal erosion treated ?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here..
Last Tuesday, I visited my eye doctor because of a sensation that there was something in my eye. He told me that I had eye erosion. He prescribed a medication to stop any possible infection and to combat dry eye. He added that when I complete my usage of this medication, I should use an over-the-counter medication to prevent dry eye. He added that in the future the worst scenario would be cornea problems with blurred vision.

Should I be concerned about the loss of vision in my (left) eye?
If I have cornea problems in the future, would such problems be cornea erosion, or something else?. I am very distressed about this. Unfortunately, my eye doctor is unavailable until next Tuesday. What is the prognosis for cornea problems with blurred vision caused by either cornea erosion or by something else?
(I should add that I have type 2 diabetes with recurrent reading of 6.5% blood sugar. However, I take metformin and my blood sugar has been reduced to 6.0%. My blood sugar has been under control for several months.)

Please advise.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later

Foreign body sensation in the eye is characteristic of corneal erosion. The term Corneal erosion means there is a discontinuity in the epithelium of the cornea.Dry eyes also can cause the corneal erosion.

If the corneal erosion is not properly taken care of then it might result in corneal scar which affects the vision(blurring of vision), if the scar lies within the center of visual axis(visual axis an imaginary line passing from the midpoint of the visual field to the fovea centralis- a part in retina)..otherwise its impacts on the vision is less.

Certain procedure like Keratoplasty is done in such condition and improve the a erosion outside the visual axis is more favorable than the erosion within the visual axis.So continue using medications to prevent dry eye and possible infection.
I don't feel there is a need to worry when you are following your doctor advice and calm yourself.
The prognosis is generally good if the erosion i outside the visual axis.If it is lies within the visual axis a guarded prognosis is given.

Your blood sugars looks under nomal range . Good job. Continue the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.