How is candida vaginitis treated ?

Been having white to cream coloured  lumpy(curd-like) discharge with itch for the past few days. Hence I purchase a over the counter yeast infection pessary and inserted it in yesterday night. After awhile, I believe the pessary dissolved and started leaking. The dissolves are white. This morning I realize that some of the discharge is in a stronger colour almost to yellow. I contracted herpes last year but do not believe it's a recurrence as I do not have blisters or ulcers that are visible to be as the one frm the first outbreak. Please advice me. 
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later

Thanks for your query

After going through the description provided by you, I feel you might be suffering with Candida Vaginitis.

For this you need a course of antifungal medications like Secnidazole or Fluconazole.
It would be better to get VDRL done along with IgG, IgM and PCR levels in blood for Herpes. If positive then you might need a course of Acyclovir.

Regarding pessary there are combinations of clindamycin + micanazole and tinidazole.
Dissolve the pessary in saline or water before keeping inside.

Do not use alkaline soaps and shower gels to wash the vagina instead you can use V wash which lowers the pH.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: How is candida vaginitis treated ? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr Minoo Bhagia!

I realise that the pessary i am using is Gyno-travogen and its stated that there is possibility of smarting and itching for 12 to 24 hrs after use am i right to say?

As mentioned earlier i do have herpes as i got it checked before.

The discharge seems to be lighter yellow now almost to cream-white colour. If that is happening then is it just the pessary working?

I do have Bio-kult previously given by a doctor, will that help with candida?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 9 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

Gyno-travogen contains antifungal agent which cures candida vaginitis.

But sometimes pessaries can give rise to more itching or may be its candida which is causing itching and pain.

You can take oral drugs instead of pessary and see the result. Antibiotic and antifungal creams are also available and you can use them. Few more helpful options are
- Bio Kult contains probiotics which helps to change the environment of vagina which is less favourable for yeast to grow.
- Lactobacillus keeps the vaginal pH on acidic side hence less chances of candidiasis.
- Cleopatra used to have milk and yogurt bath just to prevent vaginitis.
- Do not wear tight underpants and keep the vagina dry.
- Avoid perfumed gels and soaps while bathing.

Please do not make a self diagnosis as there can be mixed infections also. Yeast and bacterial infections are diagnosed under microscope by studying the vaginal swabs. "The chance of infection cannot be ruled out without tests."

I hope my answer is adequate and informative.

Wish you good health.

Best wishes