How is adrenalectomy procedure done? Do I need to take medication and what is the recovery time?

Oncologist, Surgical
How do they do a left adrenalectomy with a tumor measuring 13.5 cm and do you need to take medication after that. What is the recovery time?
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Open surgery Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. A 13.5 cm adrenal tumor is a significant finding. It should be operated upon. Before surgery, certain biochemical investigations need to be done some of which include - serum metanephrine levels for pheochromocytoma and serum cortisol levels for adrenal cortical tumors. A Ct scan of the chest and abdomen would be required to assess operability. A 13.5 cm tumor should be viewed with suspicion for cancer and handled very carefully. Open surgery is the best option for a tumor of this size. Laparoscopic and robotic techniques are also available but for a tumor of this size, open surgery is the best as there is a chance of capsule rupture and tumor spillage if it is handled laparoscopically. The postoperative hospital stay will usually be around 7-10 days. You can return back to work in 3 weeks time. I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to write in case of any other queries.