How is HIV spread?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor I recently went to a massage parlor exactly a month ago , had a full body to body massage , at the end of the massage i received a BJ with a condom on , i fingered the woman's vagina for a brief 45- 60 seconds , whats worrying me is that i have a habit of biting my nails and not sure if i had a hangnail or superficial cuts on my fingers, Am i at risk for a possible HIV exposure , I'm really beginning to worry a lot , please help Regards XXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV risk is negligible. Nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. Penile skin and vaginal lining are different from the skin of finger. The finger skin is comparatively thicker , an additional layer in the epidermis and has more resistant to infections by its nature.(stratified and keratinized epithelium). So fingering with possible nail bite open skin or superficial cuts over finger are having theoretical possibilities for a HIV infection. But as per CDC, Atlanta the risk for HIV is negligible in all types of sex play other than a anal, vaginal and oral sex contact. In my own experience in this field of HIV, I am yet to hear or come across such a case of HIV infection. It is better for you to get a HIV blood test 4 weeks after your risk activity with an Antigen test and get cleared that you were not infected. That will relieve your mental tension. So in my view your risk for HIV is very remote and you need not worry. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How is HIV spread? 7 minutes later
I normally have finger cuticles and really worried if this could pose a thret for thre vaginal fluid to enter my bloodstreaman besides i have this bad habit of biting my nails deep .. No synptoms what so ever .. Should i be worried

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV RISK IS NEGLIGIBLE.Nothing to worry Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. As I had mentioned earlier fingering carries a negligible risk for HIV even with discontinuation of skin due to injuries. Nothing to worry DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: How is HIV spread? 1 minute later
Hi Doctor I live in the UAE and im afraid to take the test .. Is it necessary to take the blood test or iam i ok ..

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV test would relieve your mental agony. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome once again. If you had not taken HIV test, You will have lot of mental tension and torture as even small headache and skin rash may worry you much. Just to clear you mind only I suggested the test. The test would have an outcome of negative one almost 99%. So nothing to worry. Dr S.Murugan

Ok thanks doctor ..

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Most welcome Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. If you have more questions to ask, feel free to ask Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How is HIV spread? 7 hours later
Hello doctor Are hives related to HIV

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hives can occur to anybody with allergy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome once again. Hives is an allergic manifestation for anything under sun. It can occur to anybody at anytime due to various reasons from children to old persons including HIV positive individuals. It has no direct relation to HIV or is specific for HIV. Dr S XXXXXXX

Follow-up: How is HIV spread? 36 minutes later
Hello doctor What are my chances for infection considering i only had an exposure to fingering (NO SEX )considering the massage lady was HIV + . I am relieved after your reply . But was i at real risk with fingering her.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Once again your risk for HIV is negligible. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Even if the massage girl is HIV positive, your risk for HIV with fingering is negligible only. Nothing to worry. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How is HIV spread? 14 minutes later
Hi doctor Even with nail cuticles ?

Brief Answer: Still the risk is negligible only. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Even with nail cuticles your risk for HIV on fingering with a HIV positive women is negligible only. Have a test and Forget about this once far all. Dr S.Murugan