How early will a blood test detect pregnancy?

How early will a blood test detect pregnancy? I had an incident on the last day of my period that I am concerned about. If I got a blood test 12 days later would that be accurate?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
A blood test can detect the rise in levels of HCG as early as 10 days after the ovulation. Since you had the incident on the last day of your periods, it is relatively less fertile period and the chances of conception are lesser.
Also you are taking birth control pills. This further decreases the chances of pregnancy.
Still you can test your blood for HCG levels on day 25 of your cycle considering the day your periods started as day1. Getting the test done after 12 days will be less accurate.
I hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: How early will a blood test detect pregnancy? 26 minutes later
I am on birth control pills, however I missed a few pills last month and took them the next day as soon as I remembered. I still got my period on time though. Do you think I was still protected from pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you took the pills as soon as you remembered on next day and you had a normal periods, any pregnancy prior to this cycle is ruled out. If you are still continuing with the pills regularly, then you are protected against pregnancy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: How early will a blood test detect pregnancy? 40 hours later
I am still slightly concerned because I am mid cycle and since the day after the incident I have had slight cramping and today I am experiencing some milky discharge. I am on the pill but this would be the day that I am ovulating. Is it possible to experience ovulation symptoms on the pill, even though the pill stops ovulation?

I also took Plan B less than 48 hours after the incident. Could that be causing these symptoms?

I am also experiencing some breast tenderness. I know pregnancy in this situation is rare, specifically because I did not have intercourse. It was an incident where sperm got on my hand and I am worried that some could have gotten inside. The cramping began the day after the incident, but could taking Plan B while also on Loestrin 24 fe be causing these symptoms? Is the overly high dose of hormones effecting my system?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms you are having are likely to be due to the plan B you took within 48 hours. While taking oral pills, there is no ovulation. So, the symptoms you have are not related to ovulation. Please do not worry. Pregnancy is not possible since you have taken plan B too timely.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards