How does cbt therapy help with thoughts and actions in a nervous and mental breakdown?

how does cbt therapy help with thoughts and actions in a nervous/mental breakdown because its not your mind?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cognitive behavioural therapy helps alter thoughts that affect behaviour.
It aims to change any distorted thoughts and perceptions that may be impacting on persons behaviour or how particular behaviour may affect your thought process.

It looks at how a particular situation would result certain thoughts, emotions and actions. For example two persons enter into a room where there is another person using a computer who doesn't look up and acknowledge them.
One person would think- he or she is busy, I will come back and that person would go on to do what they need to do and come back to say hello.
The other person would think- he or she is ignoring me, must be angry with me, would start feeling sad and depressed and may stop talking to the person which may make this person feel even worse.

So one situation would elicit different thoughts, emotions,physical feelings and actions.

It is used in wide range of conditions, it is not to say that the condition is in your mind but that your mind would affect the condition and your healing process.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions