How does Carafate cure ulcers?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, how does Carafate cure ulcers?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It protects intestines by forming protective layer

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing in to us.

This medication Carafate (Sucralfate) is used to treat and prevent ulcers in the intestines. Sucralfate forms a coating over ulcers, protecting the area from further injury. This helps ulcers heal more quickly.

Sucralfate works by forming a "barrier'' or "coating'' over the ulcer. This protects the ulcer from the acid of the stomach, allowing it to heal. Sucralfate contains an aluminum salt.

This is available as a Suspension or Tablet forms.

The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of this medicine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:

Gastrointestinal tract obstruction disease: Sucralfate may bind with other foods and drugs and cause obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract.
Kidney failure:Use may lead to a toxic increase of aluminum blood levels.

Sucralfate is best taken with water on an empty stomach 1 hour before meals and at bedtime, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

Any further queries are welcome.
I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: How does Carafate cure ulcers? 3 hours later
Hi Again, This med Sucralfate /Carafate, is causing me to get constipated, then gas, I feel really sick to my stomach and very uncomfortable. Is there anther drug that will do the same to heal the ulcers, so as not to make my daily life miserable? Do I need to check my blood for toxic increase of aluminum blood levels?

I await your response.

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Carafate can cause constipation in 2% of patients taking it and you might be among them. Though carafate is one of the better medications for a short term treatment, you might discuss the possibility of taking other medicines like proton pump inhibitors class of medicines (pantoprazole) or cimetidine.

If your kidney functions are normal, there is no reason to worry about aluminium toxicity. Aluminium toxicity usually manifests in patients of kidney disease who are on hemodialysis treatment.

Any further queries are welcome.
I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor