How can numbness, discolouration and swelling in right hand be treated ?

My right hand is turning a greyish color. It is mostly in my thumb and pointer finger, but the other fingers also are slightly discolored. My hand feels slightly numb and is swollen, and I find myself stretching it often to ease the pain and discomfort. Is this something that will go away on it's own?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

This condition is called "Raynaud's phenomenon".In this you see discoloration of tip of fingers associated with dull pain & swelling.This is usually triggered by winter climate or emotional stress.This could be a part of other systemic disease as well which needs to be ruled out.There is vasoconstriction of peripheral blood vessels leading to color change.

This condition can come and go, but doesn't get treated by itself.You should take lot of precautions like to keep the fingers warm & avoid minor trauma over fingers which may lead to ulcers .Smoking too should be avoided in such cases.

Do you also have other symptoms like joint pain,muscle pain,hard bound down skin or any pigmentation over face with sun allergy.At times there are no association and only discoloration is seen.I would suggest you to XXXXXXX a dermatologist or a rheumatologist soon.If you have any such symptoms you can share with us ,so that I can guide you further.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries'.