How can jaundice be cured ?

I am getting married in next 8 days, today only my would be diagnosed to be a jaundice patient, please can you kindly advise if proper care is taken how soon can a patient be cured of it ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 57 minutes later

First of all it is important know about the type of Jaundice.In most of cases in adults it is hepatitis A or hepatitis E.Normally this kind of infection is done by contaminated water and food.Please know the type first.

Jaundice per se is a viral infection and self limiting condition.Normally in most of patients the recovery takes place without any complication in about 4-6 weeks.As it is a viral infection, specific treatment is not there.Only supportive treatment is given to majority of patients.Ask your partner to take complete rest,light diet and plenty of fluids.

Hepatitis A and E are both infective can spread from one person to another if proper hygiene is not maintained.So strict personal hygiene is must to prevent infection to others.Please avoid physical relations with your partner till this gets cured.If your partner is having hepatitis -A ,please you get vaccinated for it to prevent infection.If it is hepatitis C ,no vaccine is available.

Jaundice runs a simple course in most of the patients.There are some practical issues for you like different ceremonies,physical and mental exertion due to lots of events etc.So be careful and ask your partner to take proper rest in between.In some of the cases at times it happened that jaundice is diagnosed in recovery phase it self, then recovery will be faster.

There is nothing to scare about,just follow some simple hygiene rules and you will not have any problems.Keep contact with your treating doctor regularly.

I hope I have removed your apprehension and answer your query,Still if you want to ask something more please feel free to ask me.

Bye and take care and have a great time.