How can constant back pain be relieved?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 34 year old male, weighing about 140 lbs. I had a back injury about 2 years ago that has never gone away. I went to Physio with no improvement. I have had both x-rays and MRI's done but both showed up as normal. It doesn't help that I live in a mining community OWNED by large cooperation's. My problem is as follows:
I have constant back pain. It feels as though my spine is being bent backwards. I have severe pain to the point where I can barely move at times. I have frequent numbness and tingling in my arms and legs. And on occasions I have had a swollen spine in my mid back. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 17 hours later

I can relate to your grievance.

Your symptoms seem to show there is a problem related to your nerve roots or your spinal cord or both. This most commonly is due to a prolapsed intervertebral disc, muscle spasm, canal stenosis or a variety of other reasons. It could also be due to an infection of vertebra which needs you to evaluate wheather you have fever(may be a low grade), increased blood counts or a raised ESR, CRP, etc. The tingling numbness in spine should ring alarm bells in our minds, since it could take an ugly turn soon in future - in form of partial weakness to complete paraplegia. The swelling you notice must be the paraspinal muscle spasm..a protective phenomenon.

It seems your x rays or MRI has either not been read properly or of inferior quality, since it fails to show a pathology inside, and believe me their surely is one. Perhaps getting a second opinion or a repeat of the X XXXXXXX or MRI is entailed.

Lets begin by evaluating your previous X rays and MRI films, which if possible you may kindly email me at YYYY@YYYY . Let us assess if we need to repeat those somewhere else!

Meanwhile take a combination of anti inflammatory with muscle relaxant preparation, local ultra sonics and traction, keep a good posture (sit upright, dont bend for anything and I mean ANYTHING, XXXXXXX t lift anything heavy, reduce weight to suit your height). Once the pain is gone or reduced the mainstay treatment should begin, which is back strengthening exercises.

Hope to hear from you along with the previous investigations.