How can back pain due to injury be relieved?

i fell last month,off bus at XXXXXXX Space Center. I sprained ankle, later through MRI found fluid on my knee, I have been having severe back pain in my lower back since this event, My back MRI is my concern. I have NEVER had lower back pain before. The MRI reads as follows
l2-l3 Normal,
L3 l4 demonstrates mild loss of normal disc signal intensity an posterior disc height.No significant disc herniation.
l4-l5 demonstrates mild loss of posterior disc height.
There is a small central disc protrusion and annular tear with out mass effect. There is mild bilateral facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1 demonstrates mild loss o posterior disc heihgt.
There is a mild bilateral facet hypertrophy.
IMPRESSION: there is a small mild loss of posterior disc height. There mild bilatral facet hypertrophy

The pain is just horrible and I can't get into my physician as he is out of town. If this is something I have to live with,I want it fixed. Cortisone shots are out for me due to violent reactions of my mother. Please any advise would help. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 50 minutes later

The MRI finding stating mild loss of posterior intervertbral disc height can be due to degenerative disc disease or lumbar spinal stenosis.

Lumbar degenerative disc disease starts with a torsional (twisting) injury to the lower back and is a cause of low back pain which is worse when sitting or during movements like bending, twisting or lifting. On MRI, annular tears, loss of disc height, and nuclear degradation are found. In lumbar spinal stenosis, either the spinal canal (central stenosis) or vertebral foramen (foraminal stenosis) becomes narrowed as a result of degenerative disc disease.

You have already been on a number of pain killers for the pain but there is no significant relief. Apart from that there are epidural steroid injections, ultrasound therapy used to warm the area, which in turn brings blood flow and healing nutrients to the area or osteopathic manipulation. But these are all short term treatments. Final treatment is by surgical technique most often spinal fusion. Other surgical methods include fascetectomy, foraminotomy, intervertebral disc annuloplasty, intervertebral disc arthroplasy, laminoplasty, laminotomy, microdiscectomy or spinal laminectomy.

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon and discuss these treatment options with him. Till then try to lose some weight (if you are overweight) and do a combination of strengthening, stretching and low-impact aerobic exercise after consulting a physiotherapist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.