How can I remove nicotine from my body for surgery?

i need to get the contine out of my body for surgery i quit smoking 2 wks ago but tested positive how can i get clean
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to suggest the following:

1. Quitting smoking for at least 6 weeks is recommended prior to a surgery under general anesthesia.

2. You need to absolutely quit smoking.

3. Seum cotinine is a metabolite of nicotine and is thus an indicator of your smoking status.

4. Cotinine levels <10 ng/mL are considered to be consistent with no active smoking.

5. It seems you used to smoke a high number of cigarettes prior to quitting hence it is taking a long time for cotinine to disappear.

6. Meanwhile, you can increase your fluid intake, take lots of fresh fruit juices (this helps to bring down the cotinin levels a bit faster). And wait and watch and hope for quick disappearance of cotinine from blood.

7. Also eliminate any source of passive smoking around you i.e. do not let any one smoke in your vicinity.

8. Remember in about 4% of smokers the cotinin levels are high even after 1 month of smoking cessation.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra