How can I relieve sinus pain during landing of flight?

3 days ago I experienced severe knife stabbing like pain in my sinus on both flights that I was on when the plane was landing. I have been suffering from sinus pains since 2003 only when planes were landing and I learnt to control it well with Otrivine which always helped. this time none of my usual tricks helped, I tried steroid nasal spray that morning, otrivine before landing, paracetamol, Tylenol. they made no difference and the pain was the worst its ever been. I was crying as I was hardly able to tolerate the pain. I'm 18 weeks pregnant. I have another 2 flights to take in 3 weeks time. please help.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Being pregnant could have aggravated the pain you feel. If you cannot tolerate the flight, please find a way to cancel the other flights. You need to take properly care of yourself and your baby too. The pain you are feeling is because of pressure when landing or getting off. However, what is important in your case : - the changes in your blood pressure at this moment - eye problems If blood pressure is ok and eyes are ok; then, you can take tylenol and otrivine 30 minutes before landing. While, avoiding to flight is a permanent solution. All the best to you and your baby! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up!
Follow-up: How can I relieve sinus pain during landing of flight? 22 hours later
Hi, otrivine and Tylenol have not helped this time. is there anything else I could try which is safe in pregnancy? I'm on holidays so I have to fly back home, so not possible to cancel the flight. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX If this is your case, then, I can suggest as following: - if you will have a cold or flu at the time of having the flight; you should get it treated properly. The safest treatment include acetaminophen (tylenol) and nasal saline and aerosol-therapy. - if you will not have the flu; and have pressure sinus pain; then, I'd suggest to keep chewing up during the flight. Thus, you will prevent pressure changes to cause you pain. You can also drink large amounts of water when flying to keep your mouth "open-shut" continuously. - keep taking tylenol on regular basis even before flying. This will keep the sinuses inflammation reduced. - although otrivine is a good choice to use even before taking the flight; I do not agree to use it during pregnancy. Thus, it is a must to consult with your OG specialist. - there is a technique when landing which involves closing your nose and starting to blow breathe slowly. However, you are pregnant and this technique will cause womb contractions. So, I advise to consult your OG specialist if you this method is applicable to you. At last, I strongly suggest to keep chewing up and drinking water while flying. All the best! Dr.Alba