How can I keep an erection?

Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to give you good information and recommendations regarding your concern.

First of all - you are not alone. Erectile dysfunction affects millions of men in the US and there are multiple factors which contribute to this. Age is certainly a factor but other issues such as anxiety, depression, thyroid dysfunction, medications and testosterone deficit may also play a role. In addition, general deconditioning or lack of daily exercise certainly has a strong effect.

In your case we can assume age is a part of the issue. You are not on any medications which eliminates that category. If you are not sleeping a good 8 hours per night and if you are not exercising at least 30 minutes daily these could be playing a role.

In addition, a small percentage of males have what we refer to as low T or low testosterone. This can be checked by your primary care provider with a simple blood test. At the same time you could be checked for thyroid dysfunction.

If you think you have any mental health limitations such as untreated anxiety or depression - these can be addressed quite well by a primary care provider.

If all of these things are ruled out then you might consider a trial of one of the prescription ED medications such as Viagra. These medications have been used for many years now with great results and minimal side effects. I generally do not recommend herbal remedies or products which have not been tested in a large clinical trial as these products are not standardized and proven safe.

I encourage you to consider everything I mentioned here and I hope this has served to be an informative and helpful response. Should you have any followups I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga