Ask a Urologist   »  

How can I get the inflamed skin of my penis treated?

hi, i am XXXXXXX
i am facing problem with my penis skin on its forehead.
it gets very tight. and has splits when i tried to pull it, and inflames too when i urinate.
it happened twice before, but was over within a week with normal skin, and it has happened again.
so what is it and what should i do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 49 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms you have described it looks like balanoposthitis which is causing scarring and narrowing of the meatal stricture and phimosis skin which further causes difficulty and pain to retract the foreskin to expose the tip of the penis.

Balanoposthitis is inflammation of the foreskin and the glans. Usually it is caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men and sometimes it is caused by bacterial or fungal infection of the skin. Obesity plays an important cause and secretions under the prepuce may become infected with anaerobic bacteria, resulting in inflammation.

You should get it examined from a dermatologist and get some tests done. These include KOH examination of the skin scrapings (to rule out fungal infection), bacterial culture of the secretions under the prepuce, blood sugar levels and maybe a skin biopsy.

Treatment depends on the cause and if it is infection then antibiotics or antifungals (topical and oral) may suffice.

Till the time you consult a dermatologist, follow these treatment options:

1)     Clean the penis and the foreskin with warm water by gently retracting the foreskin. Avoid using force and retract only to the point where resistance is met.

2)     Avoid wearing tight fitting clothing like jeans and underwear made from synthetic fibre.

3)     Remove wet or damp bathing suits immediately after swimming.

4)     Avoid douching, perfumed soaps, bubble baths and toiletries.

5)     Change underwear daily, wash them in hot water (to destroy fungi) and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent).

6)     Eat healthy nutritious food and drink plenty of fluids. Also sleep for at least 6 hours in a day.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.