How are stomach ulcers and infections treated ?

Dear sir,

My father is 60 years old. He was recently treated for ulcer perforation by surgery and he has been discharged from hospital for 2 months now. But often he has indigestion, frequent loose motion, slight temperature, abdominal cramps. He doesn't have any other medical treatment history before this. I would need some advice in this regard.

Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 38 minutes later
Hi Susanta,

Your father has undergone Surgery for Ulcer. You have not specified where the ulcer was - Was it in the stomach/duodenum or was it in the small intestine lower down?

Some times after ulcer surgery, patient can develop false communications between small and large bowel. Some can have reperforation. This can lead to frequent loose motions, abdominal cramps, fever and indigestion. So h will need an imaging of the abdomen. Either Ultrasound or a CT Abdomen is required to rule out these conditions.

Some times, some patients develop dysmotility of the bowel after surgery. Even this can lead to abdominal cramps and frequent loose stools. Fever however is a concern and points towards some infection.

So an Abdominal Imaging first to r/o any local complication inside the abdomen is the most important step. I encourage you to see your primary doctor who can guide you through these test.

Hope this answers your query. Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran