How are skin allergies to condoms treated ?

doc i had sex last night with my wife i use a condom because we were travleling it was at diff type with lube in it. right after sex along the ridge of the head on my penis on one side on the ridge it is red and sore not spot or blister but along the ridge, this has never happen before? im 40 6ft 240 pounds thx
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This may be a simple skin reaction to both the friction as well as the synthetic aspect of the condom and possibly spermicide if that was also included in the condom. Lubricant may also cause a skin reaction.

I recommend for the next few days you keep it clean and also apply a good moisturizing cream to the affected area twice daily - something like vaseline intensive care lotion would be fine.

I do not think this is some kind of infection - as long as you have had no recent exposure which would have placed you at risk.

I would expect the inflammation to improve and clear within 3 to 5 days. If not you should discuss with your doctor.

Thanks again for submitting your query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga