How are pulled abdominal muscles treated ?

I am a man age 43. Pulled ab muscle carrying 30 pound delivery bag in my right hand walked about 100 feet then I felt stretching in my left pelvic area and then like cords being pulled around my belly button and pelvic area, been 3 weeks now, it would start to heal with bed rest, in the beginning, but as the first week went past I over did it and it got worse, it felt like cuts or tears in the left side of abdamon where the swelling was. It keeps tearing and getting worse cant walk for very long or sit at all because of swelling. I cannot get to the doctor because I cant sit in the waiting room. I tried going to the emergency room and all they did was check me physically for a hernia, no mri or ultrasound was used, and then discharged me. Having to walk out of the emergency room and find a cab really strained these muscles more. i just had another tear 2 days ago the muscles surrounding the ligament from pubic bone to corner of left hip stretched and felt loose creating more swelling to the point where i can feel the pressure slightly on my bladder and lose of sexual desire. Should I stay in bed till the swelling goes down and it starts to heal then make a doctors appoinment.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

You have pulled your abdominal muscles and tendons due to overuse stress injury.

Please visit your orthopedician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations like X-ray and ultrasound scan required in your case.

There is every chance of hematoma present which is causing pressure on your bladder and is producing a visible bulge.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your abdominal muscles by using an abdominal belt.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your abdominal muscles will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel like Flexall on that area.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.