How are hard nodules on the neck treated ?

i noticed a bump or a hard nodule looking thing on my neck about two weeks ago. I went to the dr and she performed an ultrasound of the mass and did a full blood work test. MY mom has a thyroid thingso she thought it may be related to that but my thyroid came back normal, the bump is non cancerous but my blood count is abnormal, what is going on?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 17 minutes later

The lump in the neck could be due to a few common things.

1. A lymph node
2. A infected Abscess.
2. a thyroid nodule.
3. A Thyroglossal cyst.

Since the onset of the lump is within the last 2 weeks, the first two of the choices seem to be the most probable.

Thyroglossal cysts and thyroid nodules benign with no persisting or long term effects , and are also diagnosed very easily. And if needed can be excised with a minor surgery.

In case of a lymph node and the abscess, it could be due to some infection. These 2 probabilities could be the cause for the abnormal blood reports that were documented in your case. If confirmed, they can be treated with antibiotics and the abscess might need to be incised and drained. Once treated they subside within days without any long term issues.

It would be best if you can provide me the details of the blood tests as well as that of the ultrasound.

You can upload the reports either by typing in here or by uploading the scanned images. You can also email it to YYYY@YYYY with special instructions : Attn Dr Anvekar.

I can give you a more precise information, once the reports are available.

Awaiting for your response.

Dr Anvekar.