How are dents and depression in the skull treated ?

Question
I AM 62 YRS OLD, NOT OVERWEIGHT, AND OVER SEVERAL MONTHS HAVE NOTICED A GRADUAL INCREASING DENT/DEPRESSION IN THE TOP LEFT SIDE OF MY SKULL. EXPERIENCING NO PAIN OR SWELLING AND NO CHANGE IN TEXTURE. I HAVE GLAUCOME AND MY IOP HAD GONE UP SEVERAL POINTS DURING THIS TIME. THERE'S A MUCH SLIGHTER DENT ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE. IS THIS JUST NORMAL AGING? NO ONE ELSE I KNOW MY AGE IS EXPERIENCING THIS.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

If you have noticed a dent or depression in the skull and already having a history of glaucoma and now having raised intraocular pressure since noticing these dents, I suggest you an evaluation from an ophthalmologist as well as neurologist as soon as possible. What you are going through is really unusual.

One of the causes can be deformity which appear as dents in the skull.

Other very important cause which needs an urgent evaluation is separation of cranial sutures or sutures of the skull. A Paget's disease of the bone is another thing to look for. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaDiseases or conditions that cause an abnormal increase in the pressure within the head can cause the sutures to spread apart. The medical conditions that can cause an increase in pressure within the head are infarction with oedema, contusions, subdural or epidural hematoma caused by intracranial bleeding, abscess, brain tumors, meningitis, hydrocephalus and subdural hematoma or subdural effusion.

As suggested by research, abnormal intraocular pressure as measured with the handheld tonometer is an indicator of abnormal intracranial pressure in patients with known intracranial pathology. So if the intraocular pressure is high since you noticed the dents, then any raised intracranial pressure should be ruled out.

You need to get an x-ray, CT and MRI head done after consulting a neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.