How are bleeding haemorrhoids treated ?

A couple weeks ago, I had some bright red bleeding on my toilet paper after wiping that lasted for a few minutes (like a bloody nose) one day, and the same thing the next. I've had hemmoroids before off and on in my adult life. I am 38, 263 lbs (overweight), and 5'11". The core of my complaint came AFTER I started using Prep H, which help the pain/itching that occurred after the bleeding outside the anus. I was applying the cream one day, and felt a kind of hard bump about the size of a quarter-pea near the rim of the entrance to the anus. It didn't hurt at all, and could move under the skin. I went to the ER because I'm a hypochondriac, and he did a digital rectal exam, and a checked for blood. He found no problems and no blood. However, he missed feeling that bump in the rectal wall near the entrance to the anus. I told him he did, and he told me that it was likely a hemmoroid or scarred tissue, etc. Nothing to worry about. Well, I obsessed over it, kept applying prep H. and had no pain. Today, I had a small bowel movement and experienced itching/burning (like a hem feels like) again around my anus. I went to lunch after, and felt it a little painful to sit on. After lunch, I applied the prep H. again and noticed that, this time, beside the small bump that didn't hurt was a mildly painful, larger bump that wasn't there before a centimeter from the smaller bump. It was about the size of a large pea. After applying the cream, and going back to work, I later found that this bump had gone down to a pebble size bump (like the previous one). So now I have two pebble size bumps on the interior of the anus near the opening. This second one has caused pain today, so it was uncomfortable to sit. The pain went away later tonight.

My question is this: Are these hemmoroids, and the ER doctor was right, or should I get them checked out? What are the probabilities?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

First of all, let me reassure you that what you have described looks more likely like a classic Haemorrhoid.

A hemorrhoid is basically a small swollen blood vessel in the area of the anus. On occasion, these can be triggered by - prolonged sitting, heavy weight lifting or possibly from anal sexual intercourse.

The small pebble like swellings you are feeling near the anal opening are the dilated and engorged vessels.

These are not XXXXXXX or life threatening.

Let me give you a few suggestions as far as what to do now.

First, twice daily I'd like you to sit in a bathtub with warm water for 20 minutes. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

Next, you can continue using preparation H cooling gel. This you can apply to the swollen areas after each bowel movement and also at bedtime. Over time this helps also to shrink the hemorroidal tissue.

Again, hemorrhoids are common and not worrisome. Occasionally they can become larger and bleed.

Please visit your surgeon to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

If it is troubling you too much, you can undergo surgery for it. This is done routinely done.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.