Home pregnancy test came positive. Could not detect anything in ultrasound. Why?

May 2013
My last period was on 09.14.13; took a home pregnancy test 10.14.13 and it was positive. Went to Dr 10.19.13 and she said she couldn't find the baby or anything in my ultrasound. Took another hpt and it was positive again. Waiting to take a blood test to confirm pregnancy, but I'm worried, she said I might have conceived later in my cycle ski it's too early to detect or I'm not pregnant. What's wrong??
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood test for pregnancy, scan after 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:
The possibilities in your case are :
- Usually transabdominal ultrasound can show the intrauterine pregnancy after 5 completed weeks.
So possibly because of that your doctor might not seen any gestational sac.
- Sometimes urine pregnancy test kit can give false positive results.
But as both the times the results were positive, this possibility is less.
So, you can go for blood test for pregnancy as you are thinking.
If the test comes positive, go for repeat scan after 2 weeks.
Possibly by that time ultrasound can pickup the gestational sac and embryo.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.
Follow-up: Home pregnancy test came positive. Could not detect anything in ultrasound. Why? 8 hours later
She also did a transvaginal ultrasound and couldn't locate the sac. So the possibility is that I'm just too early in the pregnancy? In worried something is wrong, like a miscarriage. I'm posting I'm pregnant, I have all the symptoms and the two positive test, but I wanted to know what are the other possibilities why the ultrasound is not seeing the embryo?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wrong dates, delay in implantation

Detailed Answer:
The possible causes for absence of gestational sac in ultrasound are :
- Wrong dates.
-Delay in implantation. Sometimes ovulation may get delayed in the menstrual cycle, leading to delayed implantation.
- False positive urine pregnancy test

In such cases, I suggest blood hCG levels (for pregnancy) and repeat ultrasound scan after 2 weeks.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.