Holter monitor shows occasional PVCs and PACs. Panicking over these

I had a holter monitor done and it showed occasional pvc's and pac's. My doc says not to worry but I am panicking over these
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 4 hours later

As per your complaints -it is only anxiety which is troubling you.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC) and Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC) are variations of ECG rhythm in which extra beat is observed. If they are not causing any symptoms like giddiness, fainting, chest pain you need not worry. In most of the cases they are not clinically significant.

However in your case I would like to know some basic information about your health
1. Age
2. Gender
3. Any risk factors for heart problem like family history, high blood pressure, diabetes and addictions.

Considering ECG variation, blood screening like lipid profile, Echocardiography & Stress test TMT are also essential.

Kindly provide basic history details and any blood reports if you have done, so that it will be easy to reach to a conclusion about severity of complaints.

Hope this will help you in relieving panic situation. Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Holter monitor shows occasional PVCs and PACs. Panicking over these 16 hours later
I am 56, female. On klonopin 0.5mg day and have panic attacks. Total cholesterol last may was 288. good triglycerides 50 HDL. No fainting or chest pain. and total pvc's and pac's were around 20 with one couplet. On atenolol 12.5mg. no high blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 7 hours later

Thanks for the history updates.

1. Your blood pressure is controlled with atenolol 12.5mg. This beta blocker also helps in rhythm disturbances like PVC (Premature Ventricular Contractions) or PAC (Premature Atrial Contractions). The number does not matter as long as you are asymptomatic.

2. Also aim to control your total cholesterol below 200 and LDL below 125.

3. Consult your cardiologist to start and maintain optimum dose of statins.

4. Keep a watch on complaints like giddiness or syncope.

Hope this has helped you.

Wish you a good health.