Hollow feeling in ear. Had itching in eyes and popping in ear. What am I suffering from?

ENT Specialist
My mom is had this hollow feeling in her right ear, she would tap her right side of hear head and felt hollow. She is able to hear my fine has a slight pain behind her right ear comes and goes. This was going for 2 days, but since she goes to work and is active the hollowness doesn't seem to bother. She has also had itchyness in her eyes when she woke up these past two days. This morning she still had that feeling. I told her told to pinch her nose and breathe which cause a popping feeling in her ears and made this hollowness go away. This is the first time she has ever experience this. We all have been fight slight colds this season. What can factors can contribute to this hollowness?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query regarding hollow feeling in the right ear; you have also given the history of your past illness about dizziness. Your E.N.T. Doctor after review of your MRI of sinuses told you that you are having an allergic disorder along with some misalignment at the nasal bridge.

You are taking antiallergic benadryl every day and you got relief.

Now you have a hollow feeling in your right ear with very slight cold reflects about the dysfunction of the Eustachian tube (tubular connection between ear and throat).

Considering your past history of illness & severity of symptoms your this problem also appears to an allergic disorder.

As far as treatment is concerned, you may try for a skin test to identify the allergen than desensitization by suitable vaccine. Regarding surgical correction, I would like to tell you that surgery could correct anatomical defects but it hardly helps with allergy.

Follow-up: Hollow feeling in ear. Had itching in eyes and popping in ear. What am I suffering from? 7 hours later
So I ask my mom how she is doing she feels the same describes like a clog and hollow echo, she telll me that when she talks its like an echo but when i talk to her she hears me fine. if she moves her jaw while eating she will her like an echo hollow feeling. If sh breathes with her nose pinche the hollowness in her head goes away and feels like a pop in ears but I guess that pop is normal when you breathe while you hav you nose pinched. We do have any appoinment next thursday with her ENT. I will have her take some benadryl since she felt her eyes itching early during the day.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 6 hours later

Welcome again.

I have thoroughly looked on your query and reviewed medical history of your mother. By this, it is clear that her Eustachian tube is going to block time to time and this blockage produces negative pressure in middle ear, which she feels as blockade.

Her own voice echoes in her ear, as soon as she breath out with her pinched nose a higher air pressure in nasopharynx (area of throat behind the nose ) leads to air entry possible against blocked Eustachian tube thus she feels better.

To establish this diagnosis we need one important investigation that is IMPEDANCE AUDIOMETERY.

I hope your query is being answered but if you have any doubt you may come in touch again.

With Regards