Hit outer thigh during fall, vastus lateralis swollen, hard, no bruises, painful. Should I go to the doctor?

Question
I had a fall on the 25th December, falling directly onto a log hitting my outer thigh, the vastus lateralis, it is now the 12th XXXXXXX and it is still swollen and hard, the bruising has gone but it is still painful, should I go to a doctor or is this normal for it to take so long to heal?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

You had a fall on 25 th December and you still have pain and swelling over it.

Normally any bruise will take around two to three weeks to heal after which the skin will return to normal. If the swelling is hard there might be large collection of blood(hematoma) formed under the skin or in the muscle, this is called a hematoma.

A hematoma is nothing more than a small pool of blood that is walled off. If a hematoma is formed then it may need to be drained by your doctor.

You can apply hot compresses 3 to 4 times daily for the pain and swelling to subside and take Tablet Tylenol 200 mg twice daily for 5 days for the pain to subside. If you still feel it is hard after 1 week then, it should be drained in case of hematoma.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.