Hit on forehead, red line and large bruise, discoloration, indentation on forehead. Massage and mederma cream treatment ?

My 5 year old daughter hit the center of her forehead 3 months ago on the edge of a table. It didn't break skin, but left a small red line and a large bruise.

The bruise eventually went away, but you can still slight see the red line where she hit her head. It's also slightly discolored in that area (darker) and you can see an indentation when she crinkles her forehead.

What can I do to get rid of the line and discoloration and indentation? Does massaging and mederma work?

Attached is a picture. Thanks for your time.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your daughters skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

The XXXXXXX which you see now is called as Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH).

I can understand your concern for your daughter. But there is nothing much which we should do at this moment .We should just wait and watch till she grows little older .Since the blood supply of the scalp is good ,healing is always very good.Even without any treatment thee is a strong chance that the XXXXXXX would fade away after few months.

But you can use creams like mederma or any other creams which contains allatoin which helps in dealing with fibrosis and thus cause healing of skin.

Regarding indentation ,I wouldn't like to do anything at this young age .I wouldn't recommend massaging either.We can just hope that it heals good.
But in future if it persists (when she nearing 18plus ) one can go for either fillers (hylarunic acid) or scar revision.Fillers are injectable material containing collagen which can fill the indentation.

Hope I have answered your query.Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda