History of worm infection. Having similar feeling in rectum with itching. Suggest treatment

I had 1 episode of worms in my stool when I was in college. I have a similar feeling in my rectum the last two day, its an itching feeling and a sensation of something moving in my anus
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Enterobius... Detailed Answer: Hi, Worm infestation is relatively less common in adults. Itching of the skin close to anal orifice associated with a feature of something moving especially noted at sleep and early in the morning can be due to pin worm infestation (Enterobius vermicoloris). You can perform a classical "tape test" at home to check for yourself if there are any pin worms. A stool test and absolute eosinophil count may be performed later to rule out other worm infestation. You can consider these two set of tests to exclude worm infestation. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards