History of colon cancer. Have internal hemorrhoids and severe diverticulosis. Risk of liver damage?

I am 62 and a female with an ugly history of colon cancer in the family. I have regular colonoscopies and precancer polyps are usually removed. I have XXXXXXX hemmoroids and severe diverticulosis. Years ago I began to ocassionally notice very little bright pink blood on toilet tissue. This would occur a couple of times and then I would not see it again for a year or so. About three months ago I noticed the blood and it has been seen about 2 to 3 X per week since then. I had a colonoscopy after I frist noticed the blood. No polyps were found. Dr did not see blood either but did mention there was inflammation (colitis). Dr biopsied the area and nurse reports colitis not active. I have a follow up appmt with doc next week. In researching this blood situation I find that liver disease can cause bleeding. I did have hepatitis when I was 18. Contracted this from water at Woodstock..never did any drugs except a little pot. Also, up until a couple of years ago I enjoyed a couple of cocktails every day after work...sometimes more on weekends. Is there a real danger of liver damage? I had routine blood work done a coouple of weeks ago and everything was normal..alt,ast,albumin,bilirubin. Is it possible something was missed in the colon? Getting a little nervous.
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 48 minutes later
I can understand your true concerns.With a positive history of colon
Cancer, I am glad that you are getting regular followup colonoscopies.
Especially, if you have had precancerous polyps, you may need to
have the exam every three years untill all the polyps are cleared by
a competent specialist.
As for your liver disease concern, from your history, looks like your
hepatitis was Type-A. This does not cause chronic liver disease or
Cirrhosis.Type-B or Type-C would.So, with all the liver blood tests
being normal,you don't have to worry.
As for colitis,it is possible to have a mild case and have blood and
watery stools.You also mention diverticulosis. Again mild case of
Diverticulitis can cause bloody stools.
There are some blood tests called IBD-panel.Have that done.
If positive, colitis should be considered and you need treatment.
There are very effective treatments available.
In older people with heart disease, abnormal blood vessels in
the wall of the colon(Angiodysplasia) can cause rectal bleeding.
Hope this gives you some insight.
I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: History of colon cancer. Have internal hemorrhoids and severe diverticulosis. Risk of liver damage? 7 hours later
Thank you for the response which was somewaht reassuring. However, the blood work that I had done was routine and not the entire liver function tests. If my liver was not functioning properly would it be reflected in this routine complete CBC or would a malfunction only show in a complete liver function test?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
The tests that you mentioned ALT,Bilirubin etc.
are all part of liver tests.Since they were normal
I would not worry. Your liver is O.K..
Wish you well.