Ask a Urologist   »  

History of bladder cystitis. Having urine urgency and pain in pubic area. What is causing this?

General Surgeon
For the past few days I have been experiencing soreness/pain on the right side of my pubic area, just above my vagina. I am pretty sure it is my bladder area. I have had troubles with bladder cystitis in the past, but the discomfort has been on both sides, and has been accompanied by a feeling of urinary urgency. I also have had physical therapy for pelvic floor disfunction.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

If this symptoms are similar to previous urinary bladder infection symptoms, this can be it indeed. However one side groin pain can be also caused by inguinal hernia. You can perform simple test. Pleas put your hand on the area where the pain is located and push it gently while standing and try to cough. If you find there movable lump while coughing hernia is possible.

Other possible reason of such pain is ovarian cyst.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have urine analysis, blood work, abdominal ultrasound, groin ultrasound. If no findings, gynecologist should examine you and perform transvaginal ultrasound.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: History of bladder cystitis. Having urine urgency and pain in pubic area. What is causing this? 6 hours later
An ovarian cyst couldbe that low? The discomfort i am feeling is where my bladder is.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Almost all of diseases located in the abdominal cavity can give symptoms in much different location than the source of pain is. It is because some part of the pain is transmitted by autonomic nervous system.
So yes, ovarian cyst can give such low pain (but it does not have to be it). You know your body best, and if you feel this is the urinary balder, most likely you are right.
I just mentioned about the ovarian cyst as one of possibilities which should be considered if no other findings.

Hope this will help.