Highly stressed, highly allergic, node near groin, lymph node, stomach virus, headache, diarrhea, muscle and joint pain, perspiration. Serious?

I am a 58 year old male. Perfect weight, low colesterol, BP 130/70. Highly stressed, highly allergic. I noticed one node near my left groin has enlarged but is painless. Doctor verified enlarged lymph node. Just got over a week-long somach virus with headache, diareahea, muscle and joint aches and pains, chills and sweats. Most have subsuded by now. Should I be very concerned about the swollen node?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

After an episode of abdominal infection specially viral, finding one or two lymph nodes in the groin region is an expected course of the illness. There is nothing to be alarmed of.

However lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.

I would advise you to rule out STD’s and if it comes negative, then just leave it as it is.
Post viral inguinal lymphadenopathy may take upto 3 weeks to subside completely.

I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here.

In addition you can supplement your diet with Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.