High triglycerides & VLDL, low HDL. Hepatitis tests -ve. Which specialist to see?

My brother had a blood test, and it wasn't very good results as it is very high TRIGLYCERIDE & VLDL & Low HDL, he went into diet for 4 - 5 weeks and he lost about 5 - 6 kilos but still the blood test not so good.
He did HEPATITIS tests just in case and it came back negative.
I will upload the results sheet and will be great if you can advise what shall he do or which specialist doctor he should go and see.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

I can understand your concern for your brother.

From the reports and the lab investigations, It looks like your brother may be obese and and it seems likely that the poor lifestyle and the calorie XXXXXXX diet which he seems to regularly indulge in is the likely culprit. He needs to cut down his weight significantly to improve the lipid profile as well as the lowering of the SGPT levels.

The SGPT commonly rises in obesity due to the presence of excessive fat in the liver (Fatty Liver) which tends to injure the liver. This in medical terms is known as Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). XXXXXXX is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise.

The gold standard test to diagnose the same is definitely a liver biopsy. XXXXXXX can progress to cirrhosis of the liver which is a risk factor for liver cancer. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

Once he loses 15-20 kgs of body weight, everything should fall in place. The drugs for the high triglycerides is usually recommended once the triglyceride levels are >500 mg% as that level increases the risk of acute pancreatitis.

Weight loss by calorie restriction will be the key in the management of your brother. Replacing one meal with 6 scoops of Glucerna SR should also help.

If the levels don’t come back to normal, then he needs to consult a physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.