High relative lymphocyte count. Is it a sign of CLL?

I have a relative high lymphocytes but the absolute count is Relative Lymphocytes count is 46% and WBC is 4.4..My Platelette count is 150,000 and MPV is 13.3
Is it a sign of CLL
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is diagnosed based on some typical
1. Blood and bone marrow picture
2. Symptoms-fatigue, infections, lymph node enlargement, splenomegaly, hepatomegaly and auto immune complication
Blood pictures are-the main features is increased Total WBC count above the high normal range (may be above1.0 lakh/cmm).Other features are increased absolute lymphocyte count, anemia (decreased Hemoglobin and total RBC count), thrombocytopenia (below 1.0 lakh/cmm), presence of philadelphia chromosome in WBC.
In your relatives’ total WBC count and platelet count is within normal level. Only abnormality is relative lymphocytosis mild increase in mean platelet volume (normal 6.8-12.8fl). So it is not a case of chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Probably it is a case of viral or mycobacterium infection as those infections typically produce this kind of blood picture.
It would be much better if you provide us reports of hemoglobin, total RBC count, differential count of WBC, peripheral blood smear for blood cell morphology.
So consult with a hematologist and if he thinks get this test to be done and if this report are doubtful then latter he may have do a bone marrow biopsy for diagnosis and also consult with your physician for exclusion of viral and mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in any part of the body.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and please write a review.
Best Wishes,

Dr Sourav Ganguly