High fever, sore throat, nose congestion, headache, ear popping, no body ache, no previous illness

My 10 year old daughter went on a field trip (nature walk) Tuesday and they were outside in the pouring rain the entire time. She's 63.8 lbs, about 54 inches, small frame child, no history of previous illness, very healthy and active child. She has been sick for the last two days. High fever of 102 & 103 for the last two days. She is eating, chicken noodle soup and drinking orange juice. Complains of sore throat, & nose congestion. No body aches. Terrible headaches, with a little ear popping. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to handle or should I go to the ER. Temperature did go as low as 100 today but spiked again tonight to 103.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Your daughter is having sore throat with nasal congestion.

An infection is a likely association which has resulted in fever. She needs to have antibiotics to control her infection. This you can get her prescribed from her pediatrician after a thorough examination. Till then you can follow some simple measures to soothe her-

1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) need to be given round the clock.
2)For sore throat relief you can ask her to do salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.
3)Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4)Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
5)However the best treatment for stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in her nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

It will take 3-4 days for her to show an improvement. If there is any fresh problem do not hesitate to consult her pediatrician.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.