High blood sugar level after few hours of food with a normal fasting blood sugar level. Reason?

Sep 2012

yes thanx. my fasting sugar is 121 this morning. last night ihad two ragi dosa & coffee for dinner . i checked mu sugar level after 2 hours.My meter showed a whopping 255. this is shocking. i am a prediabetic. no medicine so far except on a few occassions taken g2 /gm1 on dr's advice.i took gm 1 after food & pp after 2 hrs 143. what do I do now. i walk on treadmill 20 mnts alternate days.i am 70 yr old amle with no bp or other i had lunch with rice 3 course. pl advice.thanx ®ards.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, I think you should take this seriously. Because your age is in high risk group. It is not quite surprising to have such a blood sugar level in this age.

Now, the problem is the high blood sugar level after 2 hrs of food with a normal fasting blood sugar level. A random blood sugar level of more than 200 should be taken as a diagnostic for diabetes. But, clinical examination is mandatory.

First of all, you have to do fasting and post prandial blood sugar test from a laboratory using your venous blood. Sometimes capillary blood sugar levels become erroneous.

Besides, you have to do a HbA1C test. It is the best indicator of glycemic control. It will show glycemic control of last 3 months.

Depending upon the results, it has to be determined whether anti-hyperglycemic agents should be started or not.

You can upload the report here or can consult with an endocrinologist in person for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.