High blood pressure,cough,ramipril,difficulty conceiving

hi i'm on ramipril for blood pressure i had a cough for a long while now also i'm trying to get my wife pregrant for 8 months now but still no luck
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

While the cough could certainly be a side effect of the ramipril, fertility defects are not an associated with this medication.

As for the cough, this can occur at anytime during therapy with ramipril. I would encourage you to discuss this with your doctor who may consider switching you to an alternative drug for a period of time.

Regarding fertility, we generally do not look into fertility testing until one year after a couple has been trying to get pregnant. If after one year it is still an issue then additional testing can be done including a semen analysis. I would encourage you also to bring this up with your doctor who may order this testing if it has in fact been over a year now.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this response has proven to be adequate and informative. Should you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga