High blood pressure despite taking Ramipril. Cannot tolerate other medicines. Why can a higher dose not be taken?

, I have been taken a blood pressure med called ramipril, now my bp is still quite high. My doctor have tried so many others but my stomach can't tolerate them. This bp med I'm on is 5mg twice a day,which brings my heart rate to sometimes 60.I asked my doctor to put me on the 10mg a day and he said I couldn't take that dose. Could you please tell me why?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vakul Aren 1 hour later
I usually give my patients Ramipril in a single daily dose where there are no complications or sensitivity to the drug.The divided dose regime is given in patients who are hypertensive but show a postural hypotensive response to Ramipril.Post myocardial inferction pateients are also give this drug in divided doses.Patients with Congestive Cardiac failure and hypersensitivity to the drug/angioedema in which case a lower dose would be preferred.Volume depletion and low sodium levels may also make yhour doctor cautious and avoid high doses of the drug.