High blood pressure, breathless while using stairs. Cardiac problems?

my wife has high blood pressure and is out of the country in Canada it is 179 over 107 what should she do... does she need to go to the emergency room?
she feels ok except for a little out of breadth going up and Down stairs
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 23 minutes later

Yes, she needs to visit to the ER as soon as possible.

Her blood pressure is quite high and she has some symptoms like feeling breathless while using stairs, which requires medical attention.

Whenever there is high blood pressure, heart has to work hard against pressure, this can lead to increase requirement of blood to the heart, if not done then this can lead to cardiac problems and lead to an emergency.

Raise blood pressure to this extent can lead to other problems also, like Brain stroke etc.

She must visit a doctor in order to get complete examination and in most of the cases, an EKG to see the status of circulation in heart.

She might need to increase the dose of blood pressure medications after examination and also need to keep routine blood pressure record after this.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to answer any follow up query that you have.