High blood pressure, Stomach cramps, taking lisinopril, prozac and ativan. Cramps due to medication?

I am 54, female and I have just been found to have an A1C of 6.7. I have developed high blood pressure and was put on lisinopril. I am already taking Prozac 20 mg daily (for 10 weeks), and took a few doses of 0.5 mg. Ativan the past few days. As soon as I started the lisinopril, my lower bowels have a terrible cramping and I am barely making it to the bathroom. I weigh 220 lbs and am 5' 3". I am prone to some mild IBS. Should I keep taking the lisinopril or try to have the Dr. switch my medication. Will my body get used to the med if I keep taking it?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

Lisinopril is a very good Anti hypertensive which is widely used as a first line drug to treat Hypertension. It shows a good efficacy with minimal side effects.

Lisinopril is associated with abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea. These all are self limiting side effects and gradually decrease as our body becomes tolerant to these.

Since you are prone to mild IBS, this side effect has been precipitated and has become prominent.

You can continue using the drug for at least 2 weeks and if the problem persists and you feel that it is hampering with your daily routine, then you can discuss the other options available with your physician.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you might have.